Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas! Blessings Abound!

Meet Charlie! We were blessed with his birth several days prior Christmas, so the whole family greeted him with open arms over the holiday. This aunt's heart literally melted when she got her hands on him. 29 bodies flying around the house, and this precious angel baby just rested peacefully. His mom, Kate, is Kevin's youngest sib, and presented us with Evie just 3 years ago. Why is it that the clock stops ticking when a newborn is in your arms, and you just can't take your eyes off him? The day passed way too quickly, that's for sure!
As we played the "Get a gift, take a gift" game, I eyed the Chicago popcorn can that Uncle Mel had so intuitively selected, and when my turn came, I grabbed it, and then tried to keep the rest of the room distracted until the game was finally over, and my popcorn was safe! (With me!)Be sure to visit Garrett's if you are in the greater Chicagoland area. Scrumptious! The gift though, which made us ooh and awe, was definitely the CES 2011. Grandpa Charlie (note the name) creates a hand crafted gift from wood each year. Each year we recipients anticipate with excitement opening that year's CES model. This year he out did himself. We each received a cross for our homes. Mine, created from Aspen and Mahogany, is in my opinion, the most beautiful of all. Thank you Grandpa! We have already found it a home on our entry way wall! We are blessed.
After attending Christmas Eve service with the family, we headed south, with Kevin at the wheel. He did a spectacular job of getting us home so our kids could be tucked in their own beds about midnight. (Important for them even though they are now both legally adults!) As we went thru the day's mail, I came upon a box for me from my cousin. As the name of this blog implies, I like pigs; flying ones at that. So I occasionally receive flying pigs of all kinds. Upon opening the box, I saw two of these adorable guys:After further inspection, I saw a note explaining that not only had my cousin hand crafted this himself, but also used the walnut wood from my grandfather's farm (established in 1930) and the southern yellow pine from his shed which was just recently taken down. The thoughtfulness of this gift really overwhelmed me. Little did my grandfather who was born in 1892 in Germany, know that a shed he was building on Midwest farm land would be used in 2011 by his grandson to create a lovely gift for his granddaughter, who would pass these ornaments down to his great grandchildren. Again, that overwhelming feeling that I am blessed.
I know that each person reading this is blessed as well, in their own way. Just take the time to notice these blessings and to feel grateful for them!
Merry Christmas 2011, and God Bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Schiferls! We are blessed to have you as friends!

Anne said...

Aren't handmade gifts the best? I thought you were still in the windy yesterday or we would have insisted on your company at dinner. It was very good, even if I do say so myself.