Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Boy and His Dog



     He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)     When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself.     He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.     His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever—in case I need him. And I expect I will—as I always have. He is just my dog.  -Gene Hill





 While Kevin was working and attending the Big Ten tourney with buddies, I jumped on a plane and headed south for some "son time" in the sunshine.  Even just a few days of sunshine is really good for the  soul.  After spending the weekend with Eric, I realized the ONE thing he misses the most from home is....his dog.  Hence, the poem and the photos from years past.  Just looking through all the pet photos brought me joy.

Back to the weekend.  While Eric continued his hectic college schedule I watched from the sidelines as he rowed, and rowed, and then rowed some more.  While he was busy with class assignments and fraternity requirements I had time to attend a Florida Tech Athletic fundraiser called Chopper Dropper, where I saw 2000 golf balls dropped from a helicopter onto the golf course.
Unfortunately for me, my number was not on one of the closest eighteen balls, so I won zip.  It was nice being outside on a lovely evening though.  We were able to get several beach walks in, but missed the opportunity to get the boy a much needed haircut.  (He promises that Friday is the day...)  The best mom moment of the weekend was being with my son in the fresh ocean breeze on the beach at night with a million stars above us and the vast ocean before us.  I felt pure happiness, love, and peace.  It will be one of those moments I cherish forever.
Blessing abound.  Give your loved ones a hug today!

No comments: